Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Whole Wheat Bread



2 3/4 C warm (almost hot) water
1/3 C olive oil
1/3 C Honey
2 T Brown Sugar
1 T salt
6-7 1/2 whole wheat flour
2 T yeast
1/2 C wheat germ
2 T flax seed
1 Heaping T wheat gluten
1 Heaping T dough enhancer


Place water, honey, and sugar in bowl then add yeast. Cover and let rest 5 min.
(It should be foamy now) Mix in olive oil, salt, wheat germ, flax seed, wheat gluten, and dough enhancer. Start adding flour until it gets hard to mix. At this point I place it on the counter and mix in the flour by hand and start kneading. During the kneading you may need to add more flour but not to much (I used 6 1/2 C all together). About 10 min. of kneading, it SHOULD be tacky when finished. Place in oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap and cloth. Let it rise for about 45 min. Punch down and cut into 2, shape into loaves. Place in greased bread pans and let rise until double about 45 min. Bake at 350 for 40 Min. When done turn out of pan and cool on rack.

Side notes... Next time I make this I will sprinkle with oats, flax seed and sunflower seeds. The recipe did NOT call for wheat germ, flax seed, wheat gluten or dough enhancer, you can change it how ever you like. The recipe called for molasses instead of brown sugar but I didn't have any, you could also use pure maple syurp (which I will do next time) I got a lot of info from A LOT of different people. Mostly reading from other blogs and the Internet. I heard it stores best in tinfoil on the counter I also place in zip lock bag, it has stayed REALLY moist this way. I also cut with electric knife after in cools and find that that works best for uniform slices. Oh yes I made this in 3 medium small loaf pans instead of 2 medium large pans.

For other tips go HERE Thanks Lisa

1 comment:

Ryan, Melissa, and Family said...

SWEET! Thanks for the great recipe Lacie! I can't wait to try it:):)