Thursday, December 18, 2008
Shredded Pork Tacos
3 lb. Pork Roast, fat removed as much as possible (*If using a roast any larger than 3 lbs, I always double the remaining ingredients)
1 Onion, chopped
3 Cloves Garlic, crushed
1 10oz. Can Green Enchilada Sauce
1 4oz. Can Diced Green Chilis
1 14oz. Can Diced Tomatoes with Chilis
2 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
½ tsp. Cumin
½ tsp. Oregano
¼ tsp. Pepper
1. In a large heavy pot, over medium heat, brown meat, then add onion and garlic and saute a few minutes. Place in crockpot.
2. Stir in the rest of the ingredients, cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
3. One hour before serving, remove roast and set aside. Strain out the onions and tomatoes as much as possible and put with the roast. Pour remaining liquid into a large saucepan. (I place the roast and strained solids back into the crockpot, TURNED OFF, with the lid on to keep warm.)
4. Bring the liquids to a boil on the stove, and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour, stirring every now and then, until considerably reduced. This will concentrate all the liquids to make a thicker sauce.
5. Mix the thickened sauce into the shredded meat and serve in warm tortillas (I use the ones you cook yourself). Toppings of your choice: Cheese...I like Monterey Jack cheese (monterey pepper jack is good too), cilantro, diced tomatoes, lettuce, sour cream, guacamole or avacado, olives, & salsa.